"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

How did I get here?


Starting in June, I will move to Indianapolis, leaving my ideas of attending law school behind to make serving my full-time job with TeenWorks. The group of kids involved in this program will be my one and only dedication and obligation; and I could not be any happier with my decision.

The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "Everyone can be great because anyone can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't even have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. . . . You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."

I have always been concerned with the injustices in this world and how they can be remedied. Admittedly, I have also always had a desire to grow up and be an independently rich woman who has servants to wait on me hand and foot; but I don't want to be a bitter sixty-year-old woman with a mediocre husband, bratty kids, and a lifetime full of unfulfilled dreams (no matter how many servants I have at my whim). 

This decision I've made is about making other people's lives better. I have found that if I can make just one person’s life easier, if I can help inspire these kids to reach for more, then anything and everything I might have to endure for them is worth it. It is worth it to me to be uncomfortable for awhile if I am making someone more comfortable for the rest of their lives. That is what is important to me. Even if I have to overcome disapproval and my ever-present selfish desires in order to have an effect on the world, I will. I will do this because I know that in the instant my life flashes before my eyes, I will have something good to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment